Salary Mid-Point: $85,000
Location: Chicago IL
Job Type: Permanent
Supervisor: Audit Manager
Employment: Full-time with benefits
Global Company: Headquartered in Chicago
Company Location: Downtown Chicago Loop
Industry: Financial Services / Insurance
Salary Target: Market
Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
About Internal Audit
The Global Internal Audit Division supports corporate strategy of becoming a top quartile underwriting company by enhancing and protecting organizational value through risk-based and objective assurance, advisory and investigation engagements. We are analysts, problem-solvers, reporters, explorers and trusted advisors and catalysts. We strive to maintain an agile and responsive audit program that focuses on our company's highest risks and builds trust with all of our stakeholders. We invest in our people, are strengthened by diversity and are committed to inclusion. As the third line of defense for the company, the scope of our work spans across all types of risk: financial, compliance, reputational and operational.
We are searching for a Senior Auditor to join our team who thrives in a collaborative environment and shares our commitment to providing valuable risk management, governance and control insights to our business partners. The role will interact with business partners throughout the Company including Underwriting, Claim, Finance, Human Resources, Actuarial, and Law. Responsibilities includes performing audit procedures and preparing communications reflecting the results of the work performed for review by management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Actively engaged in audit projects involving functions, product areas, or locations, which may encompass complex financial, compliance and operational processes.
- Monitors business unit efforts to resolve identified control issues and assesses the effectiveness of remediation efforts through follow-up reviews. Candidly discusses open control issues with audit team.
- Participates in the effective execution of all phases of audits. Contributes to the creation of audit scope through an assessment of risks, evaluating the design of existing controls, developing and executing test programs to assess adherence with established controls and documenting test results.
- Reviews the thoroughness of work product updates team leaders on progress.
- Assists in the drafting of audit reports and other outputs intended for customers. Participates in discussions and presents audit results with to audit team.
- Primarily responsible for being aware and proactive regarding developments, trends and challenges within assigned business units / functions and within the insurance industry.
- Models the appropriate use of 'partner/challenger' relationship with audited entities - know when to pivot and when to persist.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of internal audit principles, practices and procedures or specialized technical understanding of key business unit activities.
- Excellent project management, organizing and planning skills.
- Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive view of business goals and objectives.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to effectively plan and direct multiple projects and project work teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with internal and external business partners.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people and quality of service.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and integrated risk based auditing preferred.
- Knowledge of insurance industry, accounting principles (GAAP and STAT), regulatory compliance and related financial services fields highly desirable.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting preferred, or equivalent.
- Advanced degree or professional designation (CPA, CIA) preferred.
- Typically 2-4 years of relevant work experience (i.e., risk based integrated internal auditing, external auditing, business operations, accounting, finance or other related area).