Salary Mid-Point: $56,000
Location: Chicago IL
Job Type: Permanent
Payroll Specialist III
- Respond to customer service questions from associates and operations related to payroll activities.
- Audit payroll records relating to personnel changes to ensure master data is accurate.
- Research and provide payroll data and ad hoc reports for Operations teams, Finance, and Accounting.
- Research payroll variances and audit all federal and state taxes for multi-state and multi-provinces in US and Canada.
- Maintains knowledge of multi-state payroll tax and labor laws to ensure timeliness in termination pay and ensure labor laws are followed.
- Manage work flow to ensure payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely, including garnishment entry validation and calculations.
- Manage wage and compensation review, auditing, maintenance and issuance of hours, earnings, and bonuses.
- Research and resolve payroll issues found in operational audits.
- Work closely with Operations and Accounting on all payroll related issues.
- Research payroll compliance changes, make recommendations, and implement changes.
- Encourage and recommend continuous improvement measures within Payroll.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or 3+ years related experience in multi-state payroll administration; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPP preferred.
- Advanced skills in Excel; Proficient in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Strong analytical skills, focusing on researching issues within payroll data, summarizing findings and communicating clearly when presenting information.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, and problem solving in order to achieve outstanding results.
- Ability to communicate clearly, timely, and accurately.
- Knowledge of how payroll entries impact various account balances in the GL.
- Working knowledge of federal wage and hour laws, general payroll practices and internal controls.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to organize workload, adapt quickly to change, and deliver under the pressure of tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentially is mandatory.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to work independently in a time sensitive environment.
- Experience working with high volume payroll and related activities.