The Controller, under the direction of the General Manager and Corporate CFO, manages accounting and payroll functions, performs general and cost accounting functions, reports financial results, coordinates outside audits to comply with generally accepted accounting principles and accepted company accounting practices and procedures; consults with Division personnel on business issues and coordinates budgets to assure accurate financial records and information for evaluation and maintenance of the financial stability of the organization. Partners with the General Manager to proactively develop financial information to assist the General Manager in achieving profit objectives.
- Performs accounting, financial procedures and reporting, manages accounting, payroll functions, accounts receivable and collection functions and accounts payable activities, to insure accurate financial records and information.
- Prepares for and performs month end closings, reviewing systems generated journal entries for accuracy, preparing and non-systems journal entries, reconciling accounts and performing general ledger maintenance. Prepares accounts receivable aging and inventory summary reports, analyzes, prepares, and publishes financial and operational results to monitor, control and report financial activities and status.
- Develops and prepares budget process to provide the framework for establishing sales estimates, monitoring, and controlling costs and makes adjustments and revisions as necessary, to achieve desired financial results.
- Develops, designs, and enters budget models in the computer for sales, operations and profit and loss reports, that enable the General Manager to access, understand, develop scenarios, and revise individual department and function budgets.
- Completes reforecasts of profitability on a quarterly basis.
- Develops, audits, and analyzes physical inventory, calculating book to actual, reconciling general ledger, monitoring valuation and shrinkage, determining excess and obsolete inventory to assess adequacy of reserves, retention of cost effective and elimination of obsolete inventory.
- Analyzes labor costs, standard costs, material costs, material usage requirements and product costs to determine reasonable, effective cost containment. Develops overhead rates, determines overhead pools and cost drivers and monitors spending levels and reallocation of costs to assure full cost absorption.
- Updates and maintains chart of accounts and fixed asset records. Insures compliance with bank and related governmental regulations.
- Performs cost accounting activities for divisions and assists the General Manager in solving business issues such as, return on investment, efficiency, overhead and cost benefit analysis.
- Coordinates, cooperates, communicates, supports, and interacts with Company personnel to foster teamwork and insure open communication and mutual understanding.
- Insures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, accepted company accounting policies and procedures and related governmental regulations.
- Supervises accounting and payroll, credit, and collection staff. Mentors and teaches personnel using effective management and supervisory techniques to foster teamwork and develop a satisfied, cohesive, committed, productive workforce. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Partners with the General Manager and other key Division personnel to proactively develop financial information and analysis that assists the General Manger and others effectively manage the Division to achieve profit objectives. Some examples: Pricing analysis, Gross Margin Analysis, Operational efficiencies, Profitability Studies.
- Ensures that all operations are carried out at the minimum cost consistent with quality standards.
- Maintains a high degree of employee motivation and morale, departmental and interdepartmental cooperation.
- Maintains neatness and orderliness in the department. Complies observance of safety regulations and initiates action to establish new regulations whenever the need arises.
- Maintains and complies with policies, procedures and practices relating to operations of the plant.
- Performs related duties as directed.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in Business Administration with accounting emphasis or equivalent, plus 5 - 10 years related experience in manufacturing or related environment including progressively responsible and supervisory experience; or a combination of education and experience.
• CPA certification is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, financial reports, tax returns and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedures manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the bank, outside auditors, regulatory agencies, managers, and employees ofthe company and public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts for tax returns and payroll withholdings, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variable situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram and schedule form.
- Requires the understanding of and ability to operate the mainframe and PC computer systems and a working knowledge of spreadsheets and other business software.
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
• Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
• Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others.
• Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion.
• Able to work under pressure.
• Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities.