Perform a variety of accounting assignments within the Benefits Accounting team. Record and report financial transactions, reconcile accounts and ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley control requirements. Produce accurate and timely financial statements as needed, including, benefit plan based financial statements. Participate, as needed, in the planning and analysis function for the pension and OPEB plans in coordination with the actuary and FP&A. Maintain and identify opportunities to enhance internal controls and support regulatory compliance and business planning by performing analyses. Work closely with other departments and business units regarding benefit accounting activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Support and participate in the monthly financial statement close process for the Benefits Accounting team, ensuring that all financial transactions are recorded accurately and timely as well as analyzing and reviewing benefit related account activity and variances. Consult and liaise with operating unit finance personnel on accounting issues.
2. Prepare, review and analyze account reconciliations for pension, OPEB and health and welfare accounts. Ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley control requirements.
3. Assist with the monthly reporting packages for benefit specific items, including analysis of current actual results to prior period actual results for use in internal and external reporting. Assists in the accounting, analysis and budgeting of various benefit related accounts in coordination with FP&A.
4. Interact with internal and external auditors, Controller’s Group and Business Units as required to accomplish goals.
5. Assist, as needed, in special projects and the implementation of changes in FASB/GAAP.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent
- At least 2 years of related experience
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of Accounting theory, principles, practices and regulations including FASB/GAAP and SOX compliance
- Understands requirements for documentation in work papers, disclosures and memos; demonstrated ability to document a broad range of technical issues
- Demonstrated successful use of technology to improve process efficiency
- Effective teambuilding and leaderships skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Commitment to highest standards of quality and integrity
- Exude a high degree of professionalism and treats others with respect
- MBA with a concentration in Accounting or Finance
- Public accounting experience
- Regulatory/utility/FERC/SEC reporting or energy industry experience