Position Title: Background Artist - Video Gaming
Position Type: Contract to June 30th with strong potential for extension
The developers of our global tech giant video gaming client are looking for a highly creative and motivated Background Artist. The Background Artist is responsible for interpreting written and verbal direction into visual solutions. They will produce complex matte painted elements to a high standard with a thorough understanding of perspective, lighting, and colour. They are also expected to collaborate with other members of the dev team such as art direction, design, modelling and lighting to ensure the proposed ideas are meeting the game play requirements. The Background Artist must be able to execute matte painted backgrounds in a wide variety of styles that will match the product tone with various degrees of detail that fit within the production timelines.
This role is in a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for video games. the studio is dedicated to pushing the franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create backgrounds using a variety of techniques such as digital matte painting and image projection to be used in Unreal Engine.
- Translate written and verbal direction into visual solutions.
- Generate terrain, sculpt and layout assets based on art direction and concepts.
- Work closely with Design and Art Direction ensuring concepts are meeting game play and visual expectations.
- Ability to overcome challenges with multiple solutions.
- Work within established production deadlines.
- Create pre-visualized matte paintings to interpret art intention.
- 3+ years’ experience in video game production or equivalent experience.
- Ability to manipulate 3d assets and create 2.5d midground elements to complement matte painted backgrounds.
- Expertise in environment, and lighting design.
- Deep understanding of colour, tone and lighting.
- Deep understanding of composition and visual storytelling.
- Can design for a wide variety of styles (photo-realistic, highly stylized, etc.).
- Highly collaborative individual who values feedback and direction.
- Unreal knowledge is a plus.
Please include a link to your portfolio that best demonstrates your range in design.
If you are interested in this opportunity, kindly send your resumes in MS Word format to Toronto.email@example.com today!