Under the direction of the Manager of Payroll, the Senior Payroll Accountant is primarily responsible for Payroll and General Ledger transactions. This position is also responsible for monthly reporting including payroll analysis, balance sheet reconciliations and participation in the month end close process as well as performing other accounting functions and projects as defined.
• Serve as primary contact for all Payroll accounting related inquiries
• Prepares monthly journal entries as assigned, performs month-end closing
• Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts monthly
• Identify, record and reconcile accrued liabilities, salaries, bonuses, commissions and benefit expense accounts
• Analyze pay data and accurately prepare and record payroll journal entries
• Assist with annual payroll audit
• Review balance sheet and income statement for accuracy
• Perform general accounting responsibilities including but not limited to reconciliation of assigned balance sheet accounts, preparation of journal entries, research and documentation of processes and procedures, resolving questions related to general ledger activity, ad-hoc analysis and other tasks as assigned.
• Be heavily involved with Month End Close including variance explanations on actual vs budget and month over month as well as preparation of any necessary journal entries.
• Prepare monthly reconciliations
• Perform Month, Quarter and Year-end close processes as assigned.
• Assist in preparation of schedules, analysis and support data for Audit, Tax and other reporting deliverable.
• Act as lead for audits.
• Develop and recommend process improvements that leverage technology and maximize overall efficiency maintaining proper internal controls.
• Research issues as required for assigned task(s), resolve routine concerns and escalate necessary problems timely.
• Assist in preparation and gain experience in communication of presentations to management.
• Apply specialized accounting rules within functional areas of responsibility.
• Perform complex accounting and financial functions within a payroll function; verify, reconcile and balance financial transactions. Job Requirements Minimum
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum 5 years accounting experience
• In-depth knowledge of Excel Pivot Tables and V-lookup data retrieval methods
• Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality
• Knowledge of General Ledger accounting 3-5 years of experience working in a high volume payroll environment
• Knowledge of W-2 reconciliation
• Experience with ADP, Workday, and Oracle Financial
• Previous payroll accounting experience